If you recently have purchased a home or just had moved out of your parent’s abode, you might not be aware of plumbing. But there are certain things that you should know when looking for plumbing contractors or services for your new home’s fittings. Continuing the discussion, this article covers some knowledgeable tips that may help you find the best plumber. Let’s take a look.
1. When fitting any new fixture, one of the prominent things that you need to do is soldering. People usually make a lot of mistakes when soldering. One of the most common mistakes is cleaning the exterior of the pipe to make it shiny and clean after fixing the interior of the fittings. Make sure to polish these surfaces with a fine emery clot until they get bright. When soldering, always remember not to heat the pipe.
2. If your pipes bang on turning on the water tap, check whether all the pipes are anchored correctly. Cushion the pipes or add some straps using a rubber blanket to anchor the pipes. You may also find a situation when you need to use both. In case you are using copper pipes, make sure not to use galvanized straps.
3. Never use liquid cleaning products that are designed to clear clogs as these cleaners are harmful and can damage your pipes. Instead of using damaging liquids, use a plumbing snake or a plunger. These are more effective and will not harm your pipes.
4. If you have a clogged drainage system in your house, avoid using drain-clearing chemicals into the pipes. Although this method requires minimum efforts, the chemicals in these liquid cleaners may damage your piping. Instead of using chemicals, consider applying grease in the pipe using a snake, plunger or any other device designed to clear the clogs.
5. Closely check your toilets several times a year. Check if there are any leakages that you may not have noticed. If you have no idea about any leakage, check it by placing 5-6 drops of food color in the tank. If there is any leakage, the color will flow out into the container within half an hour. The process of identifying the leakage using colors will help you find out the area of the problem on time before it gets out of control.
6. Remove the faucet aerator and clean the screens once in a year. This helps the faucet aerator to work properly. The function of a faucet aerator is to ensure easy flow of water and conserve water.
7. If you are living in a cold climate area, the pipes in the plumbing system may freeze. You can solve this problem without calling a plumber. For this, open the faucet and begin thawing. Now move down the line as sections thaw out. Another method you can use to open the frozen pipe is to wrap the pipe with a heavy towel. Now, pour hot water over it, set a bucket underneath to catch the water.
8. To avoid freezing pipes in the winter, make sure to regularly insulate any exposed pipes before winter comes. If you find any problem of freezing in any of the pipes in the past, it is advisable to apply some heat tape on those pipes in order to insulate them.
9. Before you embark on a plumbing project, find the shutoff valve for water in your home is, along with the valves used for shutting off individual structures such as toilets, sinks, etc.
After reading these plumbing tips, you should feel a little more comfortable about looking after that creepy hardware that skulks in some rooms of your home. Follow the advice mentioned above and you are sure to do the right things when you find any difficulty with any of the pipes. In exceptional cases, you can look for the plumber websites to find local plumbers near you to help you out in an emergency.